2012 Reserve Zinfandel
- Grapes for La Chertosa's 2012 Reserve Zinfandel are sourced from Shake Ridge Ranch Vineyards. In the hills above Sutter Creek this site of several sloping hillside plantings gives me the opportunity to select Zinfandel from three separate locations (Mendocino, Hearts Desire & Pichetti clones) bringing an inherent expansion of flavors to the wine.
- This 80% Zinfandel is blended with 17% Primitivo from Shake Ridge as well as 3% Petite Sirah. The Primitivo brings some lively high notes to the more structured Zinfandel; and Petite Sirah generates a lovely floral tone to the nose and body of this wine.
- Wild yeast was used. After fermentation the wine was barreled and stirred with the yeast once a week for seven months.
- 30% new American Oak and 70% one and two year old barrels completed the barrel array. Barrels are 36 month air dried with toasted heads.
Only 250 Cases Produced
- Double Gold Medal + Best of Class of Region, 2014 California State Fair Competition
- Gold Medal, 2014 Denver International Wine Competition
- Gold Medal, 2014 San Diego International Wine Competition
- Gold Medal, 2014 Critics Challenge International Wine Competition