2013 Fra Paolo Reserve Zinfandel
- La Chertosa Reserve Zinfandel is made from the same vines each year from three separate sites in that same vineyard. We also have a different clone at each of the three sites. The reason for this is to get layers of flavor into the wine created by the site and clonal variations.
- We select vineyard sites with red soil because the particular complexities of red soil create a fuller mouth feel. Even with these consistencies each harvest evolves different flavors due to the variations in weather.
- Harvest was a bit early from the average starting date, with only a few heat spikes - all in all an excellent growing season.
- The blend is 65% 2013 Zinfandel, 30% 2013 Primitivo and 5% 2014 Barbera.
- Aging & Barrels: Fermented in open-topped stainless steel fermenters (our design); and aged 17 months in American Oak barrels with stirring of the lees weekly for the first 5 months.
- It is important to note that we use a tiered or multi-year barrel aging profile. We purchase for each vintage the equivalent of 1/3 new barrels. The other 2/3’s are 1/3 one-year old and 1/3 two-year old barrels. All are American Oak, medium toasted. This gives us another set of layered flavors to enhance the harmonic texture of our wine.
Only 400 Cases Produced
- Gold Medal, 2015 San Francisco International Wine Competition
- Gold Medal, 2015 Denver International Wine Competition
- Gold Medal, 2015 Grand Harvest Awards
- Gold Medal, 2015 Long Beach Grand Cru Wine Competition
- Silver Medal, 2016 American Fine Wine Competition and Gala
- Silver Medal, 2015 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition
- Silver Medal, 2015 California State Fair Commercial Wine Competition
- Silver Medal, 2015 Critics Challenge Wine Competition
- Bronze Medal, 2015 Los Angeles International Wine Awards