2014 Reserve Sangiovese
Limited Quantities Available
- The 2014 harvest started off with a light frost, but then warmed up nicely. Rains, the limited amount we had, stopped a bit on the early side, leaving the soils somewhat depleted of moisture. Growth started off quickly and vines were shown to be fruitful. Clusters were a bit on the larger side and heavier in weight. This is true for all three varietals.
- At veraison there were a few minor heat waves that pushed up sugars. We dropped about 30% of the overall crop, 25% at 80% veraison and another 5% after the second heat wave.
- Fruit loads came in rather high, about 25% higher than in 2013. Sugar and acids came in well balanced and in their “normal” time frames, unlike 2015. All fruit was picked at night, into ½ ton micro bins and arrived at the winery around 55F.
- In the nose there is a lot of bright red fruit up front, notes of sour cherry, raspberries, dried floral and cherry tomatoes. On the palate I also get more of the sour cherry, thyme cola nut and cedar. Bright acidity with light tannins round out this wine.
Only 95 Cases Produced
- Platinum Medal & Best of Category, 2016 Monterey International Wine Competition, 96 Points
- Gold Medal & Best of Class, 2016 Dan Berger International Wine Competition (Formerly Riverside)
- Silver Medal, 2016 Press Democrat North Coast Wine Challenge
Sonoma Valley, Sonoma County