2016 Don Silvio Reserve Sangiovese
- The Sangiovese grape was first brought to the Sonoma Valley from Italy in the 1860’s. La Chertosa is one of a “few” producers of Sonoma Valley Sangiovese.
- We have been making Sangiovese for decades and our source is primarily the Wildwood Vineyards of Northeastern Sonoma Valley.
- A Mediterranean variety it is naturally comfortable in the similar Sonoma valley climate and is enhanced by our selection of red soil (iron oxide) vineyard sites.
- A grape that loves to flourish, we are cautious to keep attention on crop loading and in some years are required to thin the fruit at least two times. This creates the intensity of flavors, which is also enriched by leaf pulling to ensure sunlight on the fruit.
- Sangiovese accommodates the Vintner by being a variety that ripens early in the season. If extra “hang-time” is needed we still have plenty of warm weather left to allow it.
- This wine has a charming oak and toast characteristic derived from the French Oak barrels in which it was fermented and aged for 14 months.
- The 2016 vintage features garnet color, balanced tannins and flavors of fresh plums. It pairs elegantly with grilled or barbequed foods.
- This Reserve Sangiovese salutes my kind Tuscan friend, Farneta Parish Priest, Don Silvio.
Only 98 Cases Produced
- Gold Medal, 2019 San Francisco International Wine Competition
- Gold Medal, 2019 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition
- Gold Medal, 2019 Monterey International Wine Competition
- Gold Medal, 2018 Sonoma County Harvest Fair
- Gold Medal, 2018 Denver International Wine Competition
Sonoma Valley, Sonoma County