2017 Fra Paolo Reserve Zinfandel
- This full-bodied Zinfandel from red-soiled mountain vineyards located in the Mediterranean-like climate of Amador County California.
- Zinfandel has been a favorite with the Sebastiani Family since my grandfather’s time. My father, August, made it a standard-bearer during his reign at Sebastiani Winery.
- I have chosen the Shake Ridge Vineyard site due to its exceptional characteristics. It has been carved out of rocky-loam red soil hillsides, which have good drainage. These vineyards are managed by the wonderfully capable owner, Ann Kraemer. Ann has devoted her life to being one of California’s premier vineyard managers. Her experience and knowledge is highly sought after.
- By selecting different rows in different locations on the property we have created a “field-blend” to start our wines off with an induced complexity.
- Following fermentation, selected lots of this wine were aged for 11 months in American Oak barrels. The wine has developed an exceptional roundness, complexity and elegance that makes it thoroughly enjoyable with food.
- During one of my first visits to the monastery La Chertosa, Fra Paolo served as my guide. Fra Paolo is a Certosinian winemaker, master blender and delivered me to the cradle of my family’s heritage. Fra Paolo is remembered and honored by being named to the Zinfandels I produce.
Only 293 Cases Produced
(Dec 23, 2018 at 9:20 AM)
My family thinks this is truly the finest Zin we have had in years. Well done!
(Mar 10, 2020 at 12:28 PM)
Robust and brightly acidic, its tannins balance nicely with zesty fruit tones, creating a flavorful, smooth, appealing wine. As my wife remarked, “This is delicious! [Sebastiani] clearly knows what he’s doing.”