2018 Don Silvio Reserve Sangiovese
21 Gold Medals in 5 Vintages!
- It was over 35 years ago when I first vinified Sangiovese grapes grown in Sonoma Valley. Being one of the first in the valley to make this varietal, I had only the great Sangioveses of Italy to emulate.
- Following the lead of the finest producers, I recognized that the red raspberry character, so prominent in many Sangioveses, needs other flavors to complete the mouth-feel.
- Into this 2018 Sangiovese, I have blended 15% Sonoma Valley Syrah and 4% Malbec to amp up the fruit character and add depth.
- The cooling fog and mineral-rich, red-soils of Sonoma Valley produce a long growing season and fertile environment for Sangiovese. The result is grapes with concentrated varietal flavor and moderate natural acids. 2018 was a very warm year which helped our Sangiovese achieve optimum maturity.
- A perennial gold medal winner for five vintages, La Chertosa’s Don Silvio Reserve Sangiovese has achieved a sepcial degree of complexity with the 2018 vintage.
- This is a full-flavored, palate-warming red with intense fruit, moderate tannins and balanced wood tones. In the bottle, the wine has developed a roundness and elegance that makes it thoroughly enjoyable with food.
- The wine will continue to improve for up to two years with bottle aging.
- This Reserve Sangiovese salutes my kind Tuscan friend, Farneta Parish Priest, Don Silvio.
Sonoma Valley, Sonoma County