2018 Fra Paolo Reserve Zinfandel
Our First Sonoma Valley Zinfandel!
- I would like to call this my “surprise” Zinfandel. Upon first opening the bottle you get the impression that it is a wine of singular offering – of rather closed in nose and rather bashful palate.
- Once allowed to aerate in the glass, or half-filled bottle overnight a surprise occurs. The nose opens to a complicated offering of dark cherries, ripe Zinfandel grape and elegant wood tones from barrel aging set this wine apart as one of California’s unique Zinfandels.
- The grapes for this wine were harvested from an almost one thousand foot elevation from the Moon Mountain region of Wildwood Vineyards.
- Following fermentation, selected lots of this wine were aged for twenty months in toasted American Oak barrels from the Shenandoah Valley.
- The wine has a spicy, dark cherry aroma and rich, classic Zinfandel flavors. It has a long, smooth finish that will complement hearty foods.
- Zinfandel was the first wine produced by my grandfather, Samuele at Sebastiani Vineyards, and it has become synonymous with my family’s winemaking legacy. We are excited to make this offering available. The wine is fully enjoyable to drink now and will benefit with additional years of aging.
- During one of my first visits to the monastery La Chertosa, Fra Paolo served as my guide. Fra Paolo is a Certosinian winemaker, master blender and delivered me to the cradle of my family’s heritage. Fra Paolo is remembered and honored by being named to the Zinfandels I produce.
Only 186 Cases Produced
Sonoma Valley, Sonoma County
(Nov 8, 2021 at 9:52 AM)
My husband and I recently enjoyed a bottle of the Reserve Zinfandel from our last shipment. It had such fantastic old world character. It took us both back to a dinner we enjoyed exploring the wine library at the Castello Nipozzano in Tuscany. Hats off to the winemaker!